Black Hills Quilt Show
June 8, 9, and 10, 2023
at The Monument
The 2023 Black Hills Quilt Show will be held June 8-10 in the Rushmore Hall at The Monument in beautiful downtown Rapid City. This show, sponsored by the Black Hills Quilters Guild, will be open for a preview on Thursday, June 8 from 5:00-8:00 PM, on Friday, June 9 from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, and on Saturday, June 10 from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Admission to the show is $7 per day or $10 for a 3-day pass; children are free.
Updates will be added as the show plans are finalized.
Registration is closed
Quilts must be brought to The Monument between 8:00 AM and Noon on June 7. Quilts must be picked up at The Monument between 5:00 and 6:00 PM on June 10. You must have a receipt to pick up a quilt. If you cannot deliver or pick-up your quilt at these times, ask someone to do this for you.
Click here to open the Rules for the 2023 Quilt Show
Quilt tags for registered quilts will be available at all guild meetings between May 9 and June 6; those not picked up will be at The Monument when you check in your quilts. The top half of the tag must be pinned to your quilt; the bottom half is your receipt. If you find errors in your entry or wish to withdraw your quilt prior to the show, please Contact Us.
There were 460 quilts registered this year, including 140 judged quilts.
Special Exhibits: These quilts will highlight some of the activities of the Black Hills Quilters Guild. Additional special exhibits will be shown in the Black Hills Quilters Guild ... In Action room.
- BHQG Photo Inspiration Challenge is open to guild members. Full rules are given under Members/Guild Challenges.
- Mona Lisa Art Quilt Group will display a challenge called "Roots". The artist may write the word "roots" and/or convey the definition through their quilt. Full rules are given under Members/Guild Challenges.
- Inspiration Studio display featuring floral quilts
- In Memory booth for Joan Davis will display quilts made by Joan
Diane Pitchford will be the Quilt Judge in 2023. Diane is a Certified Quilt Judge at National Association of Certified Quilt Judges. She lives in Mesa, AZ and is a longarm quilter and teacher.
Raffle Quilt and Raffle Basket
There will be a Raffle Quilt and and five Raffle Baskets at the 2023 show. These baskets contain quilt fabric, patterns, notions and supplies and maybe a few surprises. Tickets are available at the Guild table by the entrance. You need not be present to win although we will not ship the baskets.
Silent Auction for Monument Health Hospice House
The Black Hills Quilters Guild will again sponsor a Silent Auction of Small Quilted Objects and other items with proceeds going to Monument Health Hospice House. Last year, $2235 was donated; since 2005, the BHQG has raised $40,254 for the Hospice House.
Our vendor spaces are full. If you would like to be placed on a waiting list, please Contact Us .
The following vendors plan to be at the 2023 show. This will be updated as more vendors are finalized.
- Bent Pine Woodcraft - Wood-handled seam rippers, quilt hangers and racks, ruler holders, miscellaneous
- Busy Ewe/Quilted Buffalo - Farm to fiber sheep wool, knit and quilt shop items
- Crafts, Quilts, and More - Cuts of fabric, precuts, crafting materials and supplies
- Creative Dimensions - A-1 longarm machines and supplies, wide backs, wool, bolted fabric
- Fabric Junction - Scissor sharpening, scissors, rotary cutters and cutting mats
- Fracked Out Woodcraft - Fractal burned wood products, laser engraved wood products
- G&P Trading - Laurel Burch totes, accessories, animal applique patterns
- Heirlooms by Design - 3 different longarm machines, thread, fabric
- Irish Chain - Sandi Irish patterns and kits, fabric and other fun stuff
- Just for Fun - Wool applique, holiday, dolls, witches, Santas
- Little Willow Traders - furniture items made with old quilts, hangers, fabric shelf
- Merry Moose Quilt Shoppe - Minky, kits, accessories, holiday and cabin prints
- MJ Tours & Black Hills Comunity Theatre - Fund raiser raffle tickets and tour information
- Piece By Piece - Quilt themed clothing and household items
- Suzy's Stash - AccuQuilt Cutter and dies, rulers, patterns
- Sweet On You - Homemade chocolates and other confections
- The Country Shoppe - Button rugs and hand-crafted decor, holiday decor, dolls
- The Quilting Cushion - Portable massage cushions
- The Shanty Stitchers - Quilt fabrics and notions
- Wendy Roberts ART - Quilted garments, hats, bags, pillows, carvings
The Inspiration Studio will offer classes and demos during the Quilt Show. They also provide information about upcoming learning events, such as the Quilting in the Hills Retreat offered by the Black Hills Quilters Guild in the fall.
The Black Hills Quilters Guild In Action
This area of the Quilt Show will feature the activities of The Black Hills Quilters Guild. Quilts will be offered for sale or visitors can sit-and-sew for a while to learn about the art of quilt making. There will also be displays to show the many ways that our Guild contributes to the community.
- Project Warmth offers a variety of quilted items for sale. The proceeds of these sales help purchase batting, fabric, and quilting services for the quilts that are donated to a variety of local charities.
- Open Sew offers people a chance to sit and sew for a few minutes or a few hours and learn the basics of quilting. Machines, supplies, and helpers are provided by the BHQG.
- Caring Heart Quilts are given to our quilt Guild sisters who have experienced a serious health concern or lost a spouse or child. Small Thinking of You (TOY) blocks are sent to our quilt guild sisters when they are sick or have suffered a loss or sometimes just to say Thank You. Examples of both of these types of quilts will be displayed.
- Sew Sweet Sampler was a guild challenge pattern provided by Pearl Louise Designs
- Boots for Troops are Christmas Stockings that are filled with snacks and small gifts and sent to our deployed Troops during the holidays. Examples of these stockings will be displayed.
- Veteran Quilts are made by members of the Guild and given to residents at Fort Meade. They usually have a patriotic theme.
- USS SD Submarine Quilts are made by guild members and sent to the USS SD Submarine.
- Infant Bereavement Program provides swaddling blankets and quilts to parents who have lost an infant. Members of the Guild provide these items through a program at Monument Health.
- Pet Beds are made with scraps of fabric and batting that are leftover from making quilts and are donated to the local Humane Society. This keeps these materials out of landfill and provides a soft place to sleep for the animals at the shelter.
- Wool Applique - NEW exhibit this year displays items made of wool usually with embroidery stitches.
- Quilters Rest is a place to sit and rest for a few minutes or a few hours while waiting for your spouse or friends to finish looking at quilts and shopping. It will display a variety of quilts.
A Celebration of Quilting - June 19, 2023
This event celebrates the completion of our quilt show and the quilters who worked hard to make it a success. This event is scheduled for 5:30 PM on Monday, June 19, at Faith Lutheran Church. Tickets must be pre-purchased so we can plan for the meal. Tickets will be $23 each and can be purchased with the link below or at Guild meetings and Gatherings. The menu will be posted soon.
A Special Thanks to our Sponsors
We are most appreciative of all of our sponsors who donated toward helping us produce a quality quilt show and keep the cost down for the attendees. If you would like to become a sponsor for our next show, please consider donating toward this purpose. If you need additional information Contact Us
2023 Sponsors are listed below
- Gammill Longarm Quilting Machines
- The Quilt Connection, Etc.
SAVE THE DATE for our future quilt shows
June 6, 7, and 8, 2024
June 5, 6, and 7, 2025
June 4, 5, and 6, 2026